i386/100160: [mfid] Perc5i: additional symptomatic info on virtual disk detection issue

Jeffrey Williams jeff at sailorfej.net
Wed Sep 6 16:06:53 UTC 2006

I don't know if anyone specifically is working on this, but just tried
to install FreeBSD 6.1 from CD on a Dell 2950 with the PERC 5/i SAS
controller.

This server was originally configured with two hardware RAID virual
disks, the first was RAID 1 with two 36GB drives, and the second was
RAID 5 with three 72 GB drives.

Just like the original PR, the first was detected and identified in the
the installer volume setup as both mfid0 and mfid1.

In order to try and work around the problem and just get the machine up
and running, I tried deleting the RAID 1 virtual disk with the intention
of installing everything to the RAID 5 virtual disk, however, with the
first virtual disk removed, no drives where detected at all.

Next I will be trying removing the physical drives original used in the
RAID 1 virtual disk, and re-initializing the RAID 5 array.  I will
provide an update if successful.

In the meantime if anybody else is aware of another work around of fix
for this, I appreciate hearing about it.  If a patch comes out soon, I
will be happy to provide testing, but I have a small window as this
server was being implemented as an emergency replacement for another server.

Thanks,
Jeffrey Williams