i386/105616: UART PCI device just silent...

Helge Oldach puc-uart at oldach.net
Tue Nov 28 13:04:06 PST 2006

The following reply was made to PR i386/105616; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: puc-uart at oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To: xcllnt at mac.com (Marcel Moolenaar)
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/105616: UART PCI device just silent...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:49:45 +0100 (CET)

 Hi Marcel,

 one more observation:

 When I connect the two puc uart ports at different speeds, communication
 still works fine. It even works with 50 against 115200 bps, in either
 direction! Even piping files to remote works without visible errors.

 Further, if I place both sides at 50 bps (via "cu -s 50"), communication
 is definitely much faster than one would expect at 50 bps. And it
 doesn't seem to change when both ends are at 115200. I'd say the actual
 speed is somewhere around 9600.

 It seems that setting clock rate on this board does not work properly,
 but instead some default non-standard value remains set forever...

 Regards,
 Helge