i386/105616: UART PCI device just silent...

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Sun Nov 26 23:50:21 PST 2006

The following reply was made to PR i386/105616; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com>
To: puc-uart at oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/105616: UART PCI device just silent...
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:48:48 -0800

 On Nov 26, 2006, at 11:42 PM, Helge Oldach wrote:

 > Hi Marcel,
 >
 >> I think it's time to go back to the question why uart(4) detects
 >> the SUN 1889 chipset as 166550 compatible and not as 16650
 >> compatible. I think there may be a chipset-specific issue here
 >> that uart(4) seems to trigger. I need to get one of those cards
 >> and analyze the problem in more detail.
 >
 > Note that also sio detects it as a 16550A.

 The sio(4) driver can only differentiate between non-FIFO and FIFO
 hardware (roughly speaking). It cannot differentiate between 16550,
 16650, 16750 and/or 16950.

 > If it helps, I can place this card in a test machine over here for a
 > couple of days and plug some serial device to it, so that you can play
 > with it from remote. That may take a day or two to set up however.

 That would definitely help. If you have a cross-over cable then you
 can connect both UART interfaces with each other, which makes testing
 much easier.

 --
 Marcel Moolenaar
 xcllnt at mac.com