i386/105616: UART PCI device just silent...

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Sun Nov 26 21:00:35 PST 2006

The following reply was made to PR i386/105616; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com>
To: Helge Oldach <puc-uart at oldach.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/105616: UART PCI device just silent...
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:55:18 -0800

 On Nov 26, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Helge Oldach wrote:

 >> One thing that strikes me as odd is that sio(4) attaches to acpi(4),
 >> while uart(4) attaches to isa(4).
 >
 > Yes. That is indeed the reason why I send you this. But maybe it's
 > just
 > harmless.

 The reason is that acpi is loaded as a module, when uart is not. The
 acpi
 bus attachment is not being included in the uart driver because you
 don't
 build the acpi driver. It's not necessarily a problem if you have the
 right
 hints, but it's better to add device acpi to your kernel config file or
 otherwise use the uart module. The reason sio attaches to acpi is
 that sio
 is broken in that respect. While it comes in handy sometimes, it's
 still a
 bug.

 Why do you have PUC_FASTINTR for sio, but not for uart?

 --
 Marcel Moolenaar
 xcllnt at mac.com