i386/96661: Can not setup the ethernet

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue May 2 14:20:20 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR i386/96661; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org,  abidz05 at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: i386/96661: Can not setup the ethernet
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:15:36 +0200

 Quoted from PR i386/96661:
  > I'm using dell 8200. I'm trying to configure the DHCP server ,
  > It's not working.
  > In my Dmesg there was something like Giant Locked and I'm unable
  > to connect to the internet.
  > Thanks

 Hello Faris,

 you'll get better results if you send a mail with your issue to one of
 the FreeBSD mailing lists[1], in this case questions at freebsd.org. The
 problem report database is a platform for solving specific problems that
 are already encircled. Your problem seems to be very general.

 You should tell the *accurate* error message from your log file if you
 want useful feedback. Furthermore it looks like that you have more than
 one problem. Setting up a DHCP server doesn't make sense if networking
 doesn't work properly. I would deal with this at first.

 How did you configured your network adapter in /etc/rc.conf? What's the
 configuration of your LAN? Show the output of "ifconfig" and "netstat
 -r". After you've told this, then somebody might be able to give advise.

 [1]
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL

 Regards Björn