i386/94525: To difficult to install theeeeeee most importent apps

Espen Holm espen at marcato.no
Thu Mar 16 15:09:02 UTC 2006

>Number:         94525
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       To difficult to install theeeeeee most importent apps
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have used freebsd for allmost 3 years (4.8, 4,9, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4). I have loved it for it's stabillity and much more, but now I've tried 6.0 and I'm about to give up.

To install OpenOffice you have to be extremely patient. Now I have tried in 4 different ways, and it fails every time. Since Openoffice-2.0-devel is in the ports collection, I expect it to work, but it don't. Why?

I have downloaded all the nessesary files from all over the world, and used hours trying to put all the required files in "distfiles". Why?

The most irritating thing is that I have to wait two days to know if it works or not. When you build from ports you have no indication of failior before the installation comes to where it failes.

Then you probably expect me to start all over again with another version of Oo?

If you intend freebsd to be a desktop OS, you must find a better way to install the most important apps. Why isn't it a way to install Oo via pkg_add?? The lisence issues can't be the problem?

I'll try once more with the older 1.1 before I install debian on the machine, and wait for freebsd 7.0.

Espen Holm
>How-To-Repeat:
Try to install Open Office
>Fix: