i386/92501: Hang on boot with ACPI enabled on A6R notebook

Alexander I. Mogilny sg at astral.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua
Sun Jan 29 05:00:13 PST 2006

>Number:         92501
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Hang on boot with ACPI enabled on A6R notebook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I am using FreeBSD on my notebook. Notebook model is ASUS A6B00R (A6R series). The problem is that when I am trying to boot with ACPI enabled my system hangs before disk device recognition and mounting. When I do not load ACPI FreeBSD does not recognize sound, card reader and wlan devices and I receive following kernel message while boot:

Interrupt storm detected on "irq11:"; throttling interrupt source

irq11 works with following devices:
ohci0: <ATI SB400 USB Controller> mem 0xfebff000-0xfebfffff irq 11 at device 19.0 on pci0
ohci1: <ATI SB400 USB Controller> mem 0xfebfe000-0xfebfefff irq 11 at device 19.1 on pci0
ehci0: <ATI SB400 USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xfebfd000-0xfebfdfff irq 11 at device 19.2 on pci0

Here is my vmstat -i:
> vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq0: clk                        5248187       1000
irq1: atkbd0                        8323          1
irq5: rl0                          27334          5
irq7: ppc0                             1          0
irq8: rtc                         671710        127
irq10: pcm0                            1          0
irq11: ohci0 ohci+               5175788        986
irq12: psm0                          240          0
irq13: npx0                            1          0
irq14: ata0                        38815          7
irq15: ata1                           41          0
Total                           11170441       2128

BIOS update is impossible due to no new versions released yet.
Usage of FreeBSD of RELENG_6 cvs tag gave some results. System booted with ACPI,
but my network card rl0 did not work (Watchdog timeout). This was the reason why I cvsuped to 7.0-CURRENT.

Google search and search over existing problem reports on this topic gave following results:

There was a patch published on the following page:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2005-February/005787.html
(thread theme was Thinkpad 600e interrupt storm)
It was impossible to apply this patch - kernel source differed from patch source
very much.

There was also an advice to comment out 'apic' device.
I commented it out. System booted with ACPI but I again received rl0 watchdog timeout message.

I would like to help you in solving of this problem. I know that you have got not much time to work at received problem reports so due to my good knowledge of C I may work at this problem. I would only like to receive instructions of possible problem. I gess this would be enough.

Here are dmesgs:
1. Normal boot with ACPI disabled:
http://portascare.portaone.com/~sg/pr/dmesg.all.enabled.no.acpi

2. Boot with apic compiled out but ACPI enabled:
http://portascare.portaone.com/~sg/pr/dmesg.without.apic

3. Boot with USB 2.0 disabled in BIOS and ACPI enabled:
http://portascare.portaone.com/~sg/pr/dmesg.usb.v.2.0.disabled

Here is my kernel:
http://portascare.portaone.com/~sg/pr/kernel

>How-To-Repeat:
Boot with ACPI enabled and apic compiled in.
>Fix:
Disable ehci device in BIOS.