i386/91219: Webmin / Nvidia / Gnome = Graphics Corruption

Jeff Molofee nehe at cruzinternet.com
Mon Jan 2 05:30:07 PST 2006

>Number:         91219
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Webmin / Nvidia / Gnome = Graphics Corruption
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD nehe.divine 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #3: Sat Dec 31 05:29:04 MST 2005     jeffm at nehe.divine:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NeHe  i386

After updating my system to stable #3, I found that as soon as the GUI for GDM came up, moving the mouse resulted in random graphics displayed in the top 25-50 lines of the screen.  After Gnome loads, it also show this random pattern of graphics (raw data dumped to the screen).  The lines will overwrite any image on the screen (usually the top of windows).

After removing and reinstalling everything that I thought could be the problem:  Nivida driver, reinstall GDM, even remove and reinstalled xscreensaver (because it had recently been updated).  I discovered that removing webmin_enable="yes" from rc.conf also got rid of the graphics corruption.

>How-To-Repeat:
FreeBSD 6.0 Stable #3, Nivida 5900fx, Latest Gnome, Xorg, install and enable webmin.  Problem will appear.

* Usermin did not cause the same problem, but usermin would also not start from rc.conf