i386/93385: Fatal trap 12:

Scott Richman aloha at operamail.com
Wed Feb 15 04:00:21 PST 2006

>Number:         93385
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Fatal trap 12:
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When I installed 6.0 the first time I made a mistake and reinstalled it, the second time I put in the cd and booted it up I had this kernel message appear:

fault virtual address = 0x3
fault code = supervisor write page not present
instruction pointer = 0x28:0xc0812757
stack pointer = 0x28:0xc1020c84
frame pointer = 0x28:0xc1020cc0
code segement = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
= DPL0, pres1, def321, gran1
processor eflags = interrput enabled, resume, IOPL = 0

My box is dual boot XP/FreeBSD 6.0 and sometimes when I'm rebooting, restarting FreeBSD I get this fatal trap and it locks up and I have to reset.

>How-To-Repeat:
Would happen maybe one time in 6 reboots
>Fix:
My motherboard is a Abit NF7-S2 which is nForce2, it seemed to me the support for this chip was not working well.