i386/86880: [hang] 6.0 hangs or reboots whilst 5.4 is stable (ASUS-A7NX motherboard with nforce2 chipset)

Mars G. Miro marsgmiro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 18:30:13 PST 2006

The following reply was made to PR i386/86880; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Mars G. Miro" <marsgmiro at gmail.com>
To: Geoffroy Desvernay <dgeo at dgeos.net>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org, freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: i386/86880: [hang] 6.0 hangs or reboots whilst 5.4 is stable (ASUS-A7NX motherboard with nforce2 chipset)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:26:29 +0800

 On 2/8/06, Geoffroy Desvernay <dgeo at dgeos.net> wrote:

 > > I've experienced this myself. Happens w/ nForce-based mobos and
 > > certain shuttles. My fix has to always set the BIOS setting of the HD
 > > to LBA instead of Auto or CHS.
 > >
 > > Try this and report back ;-)
 > >
 > Tried this unsuccessfully, but fixing cpu freq to 100Mhz (instead of
 > 133Mhz) seems to work...
 >
 > I've read something about disabling firewire in the bios, but I have it
 > on a separate card (not in the MB), and I can't remove it for the moment.=
 ..

 Also try disabling APIC (not ACPI) as I've encountered several mobos
 that have this implemented poorly w/c results in weird behaviors of
 the OS.

 > I'm not kernel developper, but I may try patches or ?

 I'm not aware of any patches but I think this is just a hardware
 config problem tho YMMV.

 > Geoffroy.

 cheers
 mars