i386/86820: ISO Install Disk hangs after acd0:

Bill Schmitt software at schmittnet.com
Sat Oct 1 16:20:21 PDT 2005

>Number:         86820
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       ISO Install Disk hangs after acd0:
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When attempting to install 5.4 or 6.0 Beta 4, the system hangs after displaying the entry for acd0.
Background:
I have a 300MHz PII Gateway that was resurrected with new memory (128MB) and an additional Maxtor 60GB IDE hard disk to run FBSD about a year and a half ago. At the time, when I tried to install an early 5.x release (I don't recall which) it failed. I tried 4.10, and it did the same thing, but I managed to install 4.9 and have run that ever since. booting from the original Maxtor 4.7GB (configured as the master) IDE drive with most storage on the newer drive that I added. There has not been a system problem that I am aware of until now. This week, the added (60GB) drive started sending out error messages, and fsck just cycled through hours of fixes and told me to run itself again when it completed.

I've purchased a new 80GB hard disk and decided to try to install 5.4 again. I installed the new disk in place of the original 4.7GB drive with the dying drive left as a slave in the hopes that I might be able to retrieve something from it. When I boot from the 5.4 ISO image, the systems messages scroll through until the devices are recognized. The last three lines listed are:

ad0: 78533MB <HDS728080PLAT20/PF20A2B> [159560/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ad1: 58644MB <Maxtor 6Y060l0/YAR41BW0> [119150/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA33
acd0: <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1102/1426> at ata1-master P104

At that point, it hangs and I see no activity at all. I've tried the Boot FreeBSD (default), Boot FreeBSD with ACPI disabled options., and Boot FreeBSD in Safe Mode options, but all have the same results.

May or may not apply:
      This machine has an AMI BIOS (0AAKW040) Copyright Gateway 2000 1997. The Motherboard has a built-in graphics adapter put out by a company called mpact, which was acquired a few times and eventually retired by ATI. Rather than cope with that, I installed a PNY Technologies NVidia GeForce MX4000 which worked fine with 4.9. One interesting note is that XFree86 "redetected" the original adapter and I had to disable that in the configuration.
>How-To-Repeat:
      Boot from a 5.4 or 6.0 ISO disk.