i386/88914: system freeze during file transfer

Zach Dykstra md at anduin.og
Sun Nov 13 01:40:13 PST 2005

>Number:         88914
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       system freeze during file transfer
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD beren 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #1: Wed Nov  9 03:18:00 CST 2005     md at beren:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/beren  i386

I believe I have the crash somewhat pinpointed.  I connect my 6.0-RELEASE laptop to an open access point via ath0/wpa_supplicant.  I then connect to an SSH server through KDE's fish:// protocol handler (basicaly ssh inside a KDE browser, so you can operate on a remote directory as if it were local).  I start to transfer an avi (mpeg4, blah blah) to a local directory. As the file is copying, I start watching the movie via kmplayer.  Right as the file seemingly finished, (local byte count matches remote byte count) the machine locked up.  I had to force poweroff the machine to get it to reboot. The local filesystem is UFS2+S
>How-To-Repeat:
Connect to AP via ath0 (5212 chipset, in G mode)
Connect to remote SSH server via KDE's fish:// protocol
Transfer file to local machine
As file transfer is taking place, open up the file on the local machine, with continued file access

When KDE attempts to move the file foo.avi.part to foo.avi, the machine locks up. This appears to be a filesystem issue, and not something to do with KDE (just luck that this tripped the bug).