i386/82548: VBE video driver incorrectly switches to/from text mode on i845

Igor aik at fryazino.net
Wed Jun 22 19:10:10 GMT 2005

>Number:         82548
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       VBE video driver incorrectly switches to/from text mode on i845
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When I choose "VESA" driver in X11 server configuration, it works fine unless I switch to text mode and then again to graphics (e.g. switch to console 1 then back to console 9 or end X session then start another X session). After that the screen is blank (in graphics mode, on text consoles 1 or 2 all is fine)
I suppose there is a bug either in "VESA" video driver code or in VBE code for Intel i845G. If second is the case there is nothing to be done.
>How-To-Repeat:
1. find a computer with integrated Intel 845 G Graphics
2. setup XFree to use VESA driver
3. start X session
4. switch to text console (Ctrl+Alt+F2)
5. switch back (Alt+F9)

>Fix:
use "i810" video driver :)
And document somewhere that is handles not just i810 but also i845, i855,ixx....