i386/76737: CardBus problem (cbb1: Could not map register memory) with Panasonic ToughBook

Dudek majdox at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 19:30:24 PST 2005

>Number:         76737
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       CardBus problem (cbb1: Could not map register memory) with Panasonic ToughBook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
One of the PCMCIA ports does not work on Pansonic Toughbook CF-45.
It uses TI1251B PCI-CardBus Bridge.
Other port works correctly.

Both of the ports work in NetBSD, Windows XP and Linux showing that the hardware is in working condition.

If a card is plugged in the port that works the lights on the card come on and FreeBSD reports that the card was inserted. If the card is plugged in the port that does not work, the lights don't come on and FreeBSD does not report any activity.

dmesg shows following:

cbb1: <TI1251B PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xf0000000-0xf0000fff at device 12.1 on pci0
cbb1: Could not map register memory
device_attach: cbb1 attach returned 12
cbb alloc res fail

According to forums the fix for this type of problem for previous versions of FreeBSD was to set hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1 sysctl variable. However, this was removed from 5.3.
I cannot confirm this.

Please e-mail me if you are interested in the problem and you want shell account on the laptop.
E-mail me with any other questions.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install FreeBSD on CF-45 Pansonic laptop.
FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x have the same problem.
>Fix:
There is known fix at this time.