i386/76666: Booting and Sound are mutually exclusive on Toshiba laptops in 5.x

Josh Ockert torstenvl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 07:10:23 PST 2005

>Number:         76666
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Booting and Sound are mutually exclusive on Toshiba laptops in 5.x
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Many Toshiba laptops won't boot without hw.pci.enable_io_modes=0 set, in which case inserting the sound driver (on my machine) crashes the system.

Please see: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-December/069799.html
>How-To-Repeat:
Install FreeBSD 5.3 on a Toshiba laptop (such as an A45-S120) with hw.pci.enable_io_modes=0 and then try inserting the sound driver.
>Fix:
Workaround: use 4.x