i386/77751: Hard hang related to ath?

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Mon Feb 21 19:20:21 PST 2005

The following reply was made to PR i386/77751; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, frank at exit.com
Cc: sam at errno.com
Subject: Re: i386/77751: Hard hang related to ath?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:16:27 -0800

 I've managed to come up with another flavor of hang.  I beat on it
 pretty hard this evening and although the system itself didn't hang, the
 interface did.  The interface and _just_ the interface became
 unresponsive.  After letting it sit for some time (it was dinnertime), I
 did an "ifconfig ath0 down" to see if I could get it to recover and it
 appeared to go into a loop, scanning through the channels trying to
 find an access point while the rate module kept trying to change the
 speed (although always to 6M, which seemed a little odd).

 I've put this console log on my website at
     http://www.exit.com/Archives/FreeBSD/PR-Info/ath-hang-console.txt

 That's the ath debug output of the whole session, so it's quite large
 (some 37K+ lines), but the most interesting bit is at the end.