i386/77710: Linux page fault sigcontext information is wrong

Peter S. Housel housel at acm.org
Fri Feb 18 20:30:28 PST 2005

>Number:         77710
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Linux page fault sigcontext information is wrong
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
      (Originally posted to emulation@ and hackers@ in May 2004 with no response.)

I'm running some Linux code (a garbage collector) that needs to trap page faults. There are a couple of problems with the i386 code that builds linux signal context:

/* ... */
 frame.sf_sc.sc_err    = regs->tf_err;
 frame.sf_sc.sc_trapno = bsd_to_linux_trapcode(code);

The first problem is that the sc_cr2 field of the linux sigcontext is not initialized with the faulting address (obtained at page fault time from the cr2 register).  The second problem is that sc_err is being initialized incorrectly, because in trap_pfault the original tf_err field provided by the processor has already been overwritten:

 /* kludge to pass faulting virtual address to sendsig */
 frame->tf_err = eva;

The trap handler has worked this way since trap.c revision 1.25 (now past its tenth anniversary).  Surely there is some better way to pass eva to sendsig so thtat the 3-bit err field is not lost.  (It would be nice if said field were available in the FreeBSD sigcontext, too, but that would likely involve an ABI change.)