i386/70832: Serious problems with RealTek NIC using re0 driver on Evo N1015v

Marian Cerny jojo at matfyz.cz
Fri Feb 11 03:00:41 PST 2005

The following reply was made to PR i386/70832; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marian Cerny <jojo at matfyz.cz>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Cc: Russell Jackson <rjackson at cserv63.csub.edu>,
	Andrew Belashov <bel at orel.ru>, Florian Klemenz <fok at gmx.net>,
	John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Re: i386/70832: Serious problems with RealTek NIC using re0 driver on Evo N1015v
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:52:31 +0100

 All of my problems are still actual on FreeBSD 5.3R, too :-(.

 Kernel panics on 'halt -p' always when network cable is connected. When
 network cable is plugged out, there is no panic at all and the laptop
 correctly turns itself off.

 Today I have discovered (thanks to pav at FreeBSD.org), that setting

 	> ifconfig re0 -txcsum -rxcsum

 solves most of my problems. cvsup works ok, no kernel panic on 'halt -p'
 even when the network cable is plugged in. Of course it does not solve
 "rarely hangs at boot", because the setting is applied after boot.

 I have not tested the "-txcsum -rxcsum" for long time, just for a few
 hours.

 Should I divide this PR (each subproblem into separate PR)?

 Other similar problems found:

  o PR kern/76551
     - re0: watchdog timeout problem
  o http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-current_2004/msg07324.html
     - problem with checksum offloading on re
  o http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-current_2004/msg20316.html
     - re0 device txcsum issue

 Would be great if this could be fixed before 5.4R.

 --
 Marian Cerny <jojo at matfyz.cz>
 Jabber: jojo at njs.netlab.cz