i386/77325: valgrind hangs at program completion, see warnings in messages about static ldt allocation

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Wed Feb 9 12:00:42 PST 2005

>Number:         77325
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       valgrind hangs at program completion, see warnings in messages about static ldt allocation
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD zmori.markir.net 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov 25 15:48:11 NZDT 2004     markir at zmori.markir.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STANDARD  i386

diff GENERIC STANDARD
22,23c22,23
< cpu           I486_CPU
< cpu           I586_CPU
---
> #cpu          I486_CPU
> #cpu          I586_CPU
25c25
< ident         GENERIC
---
> ident         STANDARD
108a109
> device                atapicam        # CAM Cooked SCSI device
272a274,277

> # Sound card
> device                sound           # Pnp PCI Sound Cards
> device                "snd_emu10k1"

valgrind hangs at program completion, and has to be killed with 'kill -9' There are warnings in messages that read:

Feb 10 08:37:57 zmori kernel: Warning: pid 14803 used static ldt allocation.
Feb 10 08:37:57 zmori kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info

>How-To-Repeat:
create trivial c program :

int
main(int argc, char **argv) {

        return 0;
}

compile using gcc 3.4.2 and run using valgrind from ports (not valgrind-snapshot, tho I might see if I can reproduce with that)