i386/85402: FreeBSD 6.0 Betas hang after an uncertain amount of time during installation with ACPI on or off on Nforce2 motherboard.

David Leimbach leimy2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:30:10 GMT 2005

>Number:         85402
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 6.0 Betas hang after an uncertain amount of time during installation with ACPI on or off on Nforce2 motherboard.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
While trying to install FreeBSD 6.0 betas I can successfully get to the sysinstall menu.  However once there it seems to be only a matter of time before the keyboard becomes unresponsive.  This happens both with ACPI on or off [I used "set load_acpi NO"].

An interesting note is that when the keyboard is frozen the power button on the PC still seems to cause sysinstall to react with an "abort install" dialog.  The keyboard then becomes responsive again for a few seconds though none of the keys I press cause the appropriate action. [up arrow becomes "return" etc]
>How-To-Repeat:
You probably need this particular Nforce2 based motherboard and FreeBSD 6.0 Betas.  This motherboard is known to work with earlier FreeBSDs as well as DragonFlyBSD, so I suspect I'm not turning off ACPI with that single environment variable.