i386/85072: Ps/2 Mouse detection failure on compaq chipset

Juan Linietsky reduzio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 07:00:37 GMT 2005

>Number:         85072
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Ps/2 Mouse detection failure on compaq chipset
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have a Compaq Presario P-III-650mh (chipset info below)
Attached a PS/2 mouse, "Genius" Brand, ImPS/2 protocol.
Mouse fails detection upon boot with message (in dmesg):
psm0: current command byte:0047
psm0: failed to reset the aux device
As a result the device file /dev/psm0 doesnt exit, and neither moused or Xorg can be used.
Tried unplugging the computer power cable, for a minute, (with mouse always plugged, of course) three times, then booting, but still the same. I know PS/2 needs to be connected when power is switched on.
However, this device is detected and works perfect under Linux versions 2.4 and 2.6, and Microsoft Windows, on the same computer, I tried running a rescue linux 2.4 CD and loaded the driver, and I can read thrash from the /dev/psaux device when i move the mouse.

The machine uses a custom Compaq BIOS, but the chipset is Intel:
Model: 82801AA (for PCI/ISA hostbridges, USB and SMBus )

Some not-so-useful data:

RAM: 256mb PC100
Built in ESS-Maestro Sound Card