i386/79943: Very High interupt rate on PCM

Christopher T. Johnson cjohnson at cyberpaladin.com
Thu Apr 14 16:40:23 PDT 2005

>Number:         79943
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Very High interupt rate on PCM
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When I was doing a port build from sourt I noticed that the system was very
slow.  Slower than expected.  I used systat -vmstat to verify the system
usage.  I noticed that IRQ 18 (PCM) was running at 28,000+ interupts per
second.

My most recent change was to have used portinstall to install the nvidia
drivers.

With some experements I discovered that when nvidia.ko is loaded with OUT
snd_ich.ko (and sound.ko) I have not interupt storms.  If snd_ich.ko is
loaded with OUT nvidia.ko, I get no interupt storms.  It is the combination
of the two.

On a basicly idle system, the interupts are consuming 10% of system time
and 15% of Interupt time.
>How-To-Repeat:

Load nvidia.ko and snd_ich.ko and start X windows.
>Fix:
work around: Don't load both sound and nvidia drivers at the same time.