i386/79912: Sound broken for 2 VIA chipsets

Leif Pedersen pedersen at meridian-enviro.com
Thu Apr 14 08:20:12 PDT 2005

>Number:         79912
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Sound broken for 2 VIA chipsets
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD  5.4-RC1 FreeBSD 5.4-RC1 #0: Sun Apr  3 15:40:32 UTC 2005     root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

      FreeBSD elrond.hobbiton.org 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Mar 18 23:25:10 CST 2005     root at elrond.hobbiton.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

(elrond exhibits the problem both with GENERIC and an SMP kernel)

      FreeBSD legolas.hobbiton.org 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Mon Jan  3 16:38:16 CST 2005     root at legolas.hobbiton.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LEGOLAS  i386

      First, I apologize for the vagueness of my report and for not trying it on RC-2 yet.  The fact is I haven't had time yet, but I figured it is important to get your attention before RC-3 is released.  :)  I will follow up with any information you request.  Thanks

AFTER I start playing, the kernel emits:

Interrupt storm detected on "irq17: ohci0"; throttling interrupt source
pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

Oddly enough, sometimes mplayer will play up to about 10 seconds of a song, then start stuttering (roughly, playing each 0.5 seconds of music twice).  xmms and amp never emit any sound, and appear to block as soon as they write().  Xmms's time-counter never advances past 00:00
>How-To-Repeat:
      play an mp3 with xmms or amp
>Fix:
      unknown