i386/68411: VMware Virtual Machine - Network Fails During Install with Specific Setup

Daniel Morante daniel at morante.net
Sat Jun 26 22:40:29 PDT 2004

>Number:         68411
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       VMware Virtual Machine - Network Fails During Install with Specific Setup
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
Can't Do it Since I can't Install
Considor the Following Senerio:

An Internal LAN 172.17.101.0/25
A Gateway to corporate WAN with Internet access provided only by an ISA Server 172.17.101.1
An Additional Gateway with Direct Internet Access to a cable modem. 172.17.101.11
A Proxy Server running FreeBSD with internet access provided only by a proxy 172.17.101.12
Using VMware GSX Server Versions 2.5 or 3.0 (Haven't tried it on Workstation version)
Installing either FreeBSD 4.10 or 5.2.1 from floppies images (kern.flp & mfsroot.flp) loaded into VMware's virtual floppy drive (no physical floppy disks).
VMware Virtual Network is setup to automaticly bridge, 1 NIC in Host machine, 1 NIC in Guest Machine.
Choose "Other" then "FreeBSD" for the Guest OS
Accept Defualt Settings

I begin an fresh Install With Either 4.10 or 5.2.1
Choose "Standard" Installation
Use Automatic Partioning and slicing (A&Q, A&Q)
Choose "User" install type and select "Yes" for Ports collection
Select "FTP" install
Choose any FTP mirror
****(Here's where the problems start)****
In FreeBSD 5.2.1 I see "Unknown Adapter Type" as the first item, then see the VMware PCnet as the second.  I select the second Item.  (FreeBSD 4.10 is OK)
I say "No" to IPv6
I say "Yes" to DHCP
I set host name to "ldap"

The DHCP server is configured to give out 172.17.101.1 as the gateway, but this is no good to me, so I change the gateway to 172.17.101.11.

I choose "OK"
Install sucesffuly "looks up" the FTP server
Install prepares disk, partitions and formats
Installer says "Starting Emergency Holographic Shell....." (or what ever that says)
Installer Attepmts to Log into FTP server, but fails.
I go back and adjust my config, change my install media to "HTTP Proxy"
I type in the proxy server's address
I get Error, "Can't find Proxy"
I try again with FTP
I get error can't find address for FTP server.

Reconfiguring my network has 0 effect.
I got to the second console (ALT+F2)
I see a messege towards the bottom about ifconfig saying that my network interface was brought down (don't exact text)
I try rebooting the Virtual Machine, I do the same exact steps, end up with the same result in both freebsd 4.10 and 5.2.1.

However...
If I use DHCP and do NOT change the gateway address from 172.17.101.1 to 172.17.101.11, and I choose HTTP Proxy from the begining, Install works.  If I don't use DHCP and manualy configure, install works.
>How-To-Repeat:
Use DHCP to configure Interface, change default gateway.  Occurs every time.
>Fix:
Do not change the defualt gateway, or don't use DHCP.