i386/68219: ACPI + snd_maestro3 problem

Fabien Devaux fab at gnux.info
Wed Jun 23 02:10:19 GMT 2004

>Number:         68219
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       ACPI + snd_maestro3 problem
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
      I own an ASUS 8400K laptop, the sound card is :
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 12)
        Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 1049
        I/O ports at f800
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

I load the snd_maestro3.ko module at boot time via /boot/loader.conf

The sound card works well but when I wake-up my laptop after a suspend mode (zzz) it often don't works anymore.
I've tried to put some lines in the rc.resume to fix the problem :
rc.resume:
/usr/local/bin/sudo /sbin/kldload snd_maestro3

rc.suspend:
/usr/local/bin/sudo /sbin/kldunload snd_maestro3
/usr/local/bin/sudo /sbin/kldunload snd_pcm

But sometimes it can't unload the module (it says it's busy) even If NO application is using it (even in runlevel 1).

Here is the dmesg output concerning the sound card, I see some error, maybe it can come from this:
wakeup from sleeping state (slept 99:02:22)
pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> port 0xf800-0xf8ff irq 10 at device 6.0 on pci0
pcm0: failed to enable memory mapping!
pcm0: <ESS Technology ES1988 AC97 Codec>

If I don't unload the module before sleeping I get this kind of error:
pcm0: m3_rdcd timed out.
pcm0: Codec reset retry
pcm0: m3_rdcd timed out.
pcm0: Codec reset retry
pcm0: m3_rdcd timed out.
pcm0: Codec reset retry
pcm0: m3_rdcd timed out.
pcm0: Codec reset failed
pcm0: ac97 codec init failed
wakeup from sleeping state (slept 00:00:18)
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.
pcm0: m3_wrcd timed out.

Every application works as it should be but no sound is played.
>How-To-Repeat:
load the sound module, work with many applications, close everything, try to unload the module...
If I don't unload the module before zzz'ing I get less or more the same problem too, I can use a mixer etc... everything works as if the soundcard worked but no sound can be heard.