i386/67818: Marvell if_sk driver watchdog timeout issue on asus p4p800 motherboard

Adam Dawson adenergy at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 11 05:10:13 GMT 2004

>Number:         67818
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Marvell if_sk driver watchdog timeout issue on asus p4p800 motherboard
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD host 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 23 20:45:55 GMT 2004     root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

      sk0 network interface stops passing traffic during high traffic load. Occasionally a "sk0: watchdog timeout" error is sent to console,messages but not always.
Tried unplugging/reconnecting network cable - no go
Tried ifconfig sk0 down; ifconfig sk0 up - no go

Sometimes it returns after about a minute or 2, most times requires a reboot.

>From the server I can use FTP to get a large file from another server OK. Breaks if I try to put a large fle to another server.

Using a 2.8Ghz processor with hyperthreading enabled on an asus p4p800 motherboard. The interface is built into the motherboard.

Interface still appears to be recieving packets eg. tcpdump sees traffic such as ping requests but no replies are sent.

Using IPFW but tried with ipfw disabled and it is still a problem.

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2798.66-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf25  Stepping = 5
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
real memory  = 1072889856 (1023 MB)
avail memory = 1032847360 (985 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <A M I  OEMAPIC >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
ioapic0: Changing APIC ID to 2
ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled

..

skc0: <Marvell Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem 0xfeafc000-0xfeafffff irq 22 at device 5.0 on pci2
skc0: Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter
sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
sk0: Ethernet address: 00:0e:a6:94:b8:fd
miibus0: <MII bus> on sk0
e1000phy0: <Marvell 88E1000 Gigabit PHY> on miibus0
e1000phy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseTX-FDX, auto

>How-To-Repeat:
      Standard FreeBSD 5.2.1 install on hardware specified above. Transfer alot of traffic. Appears to be high outbound traffic that causes the problem.

>Fix:
      Dont know one.