i386/63430: TIMEOUT - ATA READ

Dirk Gently spam at spamspam.com
Thu Feb 26 19:30:22 PST 2004

>Number:         63430
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       TIMEOUT - ATA READ
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD .hostname.com 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #4: Thu Feb 26 17:03:56 EST 2004     root at .hostname.com:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MYKERNEL  i386

      Randomly, the system will lock up completely, requiring a hard reset. If I'm in a terminal I'll see the message, "TIMEOUT - ATA READ /dev/ad6" or something like that, with an LBA address at the end. That line is followed by "TIMEOUT - ATA WRITE /dev/ad6" and a different LBA address.

Hardware:

Intel D875PBZ motherboard
Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA drive
>How-To-Repeat:
      Happens randomly during normal use, even when the machine is idle. Usually takes anywhere from one to twenty minutes to happen, but I've had the system up for a few hours at most.
>Fix:
      Not sure. Looks like more ATA problems to me.