i386/63313: sk driver panics on boot with SK-9844 dual port NIC (V1.0 fiber)

Jin Guojun (DSD staff) jin at ncs.lbl.gov
Tue Feb 24 10:50:17 PST 2004

>Number:         63313
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       sk driver panics on boot with SK-9844 dual port NIC (V1.0 fiber)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC2 #3: Mon Feb 23 16:33:41 PST 2004 root at netlion.lbl.gov:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MinMax i386

	FreeBSD 5.2-R and 5.2.1-RC2
	SuperMirco (E7500) + Xeon 2.0 MHz and other Intel PIII / P4
	+ SK 9844 dual port fiber (V1.0) NIC
	(very possible having trouble with 9843 v1.0 but have not tested yet)
	Installation CD will not able to boot due to ealier stage panic.
	Installing from floppies is Ok, but will not be able to boot
	after installation due to the same problem.
	Remove SK NIC from system, installation will succeed; but it is
	impossible to put SK NIC back into the system because it will
	cause boot panic.
	Panic message was like
		"SKC: PHY not present ..."

	If looks like that new SK driver works with SK v2.0 NICs (copper),
	but not the older GigE NICs (v 1.0).

>How-To-Repeat:
	Start with above configuration at Environment section.
	Try boot from a 5.2-X CD.
>Fix:

	It is hard to provide trace message since it panics in the ealier
	boot stage. It does not create coredump. The developer may know
	what is the problem.
	If we want to keep older SK NIC to work, this needs to be fixed
	and tested in the SK driver.