i386/62382: 'wi' driver Netgear MA311 (PCI) Prism 2.5, VIA Apollo chipset mobo, 'wi' crash during boot

Murray Baker murray_baker at ihug.com.au
Wed Feb 11 05:20:19 PST 2004

The following reply was made to PR i386/62382; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Murray Baker <murray_baker at ihug.com.au>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/62382: 'wi' driver Netgear MA311 (PCI) Prism 2.5, VIA
  Apollo chipset mobo, 'wi' crash during boot
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:06:57 +1100

 I have diagnosed and solved the problem.

 PCI 2.1 mobo does not supply 3.3V power reqd by MA311.
 (3.3V power mandatory on PCI 2.2 mobo, optional on PCI 2.1.)

 Sufficient power was supplied by parasitic paths to get the MA311
 partially working. I successfully ran the firmware upgrade flasher
 on this mobo. Confusing!

 MA311 is now in another mobo which does supply 3.3V power and I have
 had the WLAN working. FreeBSD 4.9-REL at both ends.

 Murray Baker.