i386/62466: 5.2.1 RC1 netowrking and reboot issue

pathiaki at pathiaki.com pathiaki at pathiaki.com
Sat Feb 7 00:30:16 PST 2004

>Number:         62466
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       5.2.1 RC1 netowrking and reboot issue
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC1 #1: Fri Jan 16 12:57:32 EST 2004 root at pc8.atlantisservices.com:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/GENERIC i386

Tyan 2466 MP board with only one Athlon Socket A 2400 MP processor with various networking cards.

	Upgraded machine from 5.1 to 5.2-RC1.  Everything went smooth.  However, after rebooting, the re0 card which I was attempting to install with the release (works find on 5.2) decides to start giving resets and doesn't respond.  I switch back to the rl0 card I was using (RealTek 530TX+ which also works fine on 5.2) and it is now detected as an xl0 card.) is also giving hardware resets and not responding. (Yes, I changed all the required settings in /etc/rc.conf.)
	Next, I go to reboot and the machine syncs the drives, prints "Rebooting" and hangs.  It has to be hardware reset.

	Everything worked fine on 5.1.

>How-To-Repeat:

	I did a simple upgrade that I've been used to performing on the OS.  I downloaded what I thought was 5.2 release from the cvs repository at ~8:30 pm EST on 2/4/04.  I performed a:  make buildworld, make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC, make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC, rebooted to single-user, mergemaster -p, make installworld, mergemaster, exit to multiuser.  This was performed on a straight 5.1 install with Vinum volumes.  Everything seems ok on the machine right now except the network drivers aren't working and I have to power cycle the box to if I reboot.
>Fix:

	Unknown at this time.  (Gulp... please help!)