i386/62248: 5.2 current hangs on boot

peter stern pstern at ptialaska.net
Sun Feb 1 22:00:58 PST 2004

>Number:         62248
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       5.2 current hangs on boot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Was running 5.1 current built Sep 26,03. Updated to 5.2 current 2/1/04. Did make buildkernel then make installkernel. Upon reboot the machine hung during the boot process.

I tried booting with ACPI off, safe mode, debug turned on. The normal boot, acpi boot and safe mode boot all hung at the same place.

  Timecounter "TSC" frequency 2400093344 Hz quality 800
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec

When I tried the the debug function the system hung at the the point it was detecting atapi ide drives.

The hardware is an Intel D845BGL2 brand motherboard p4 2.4 533 FSB. 512mb ram, Nvdia GForce 2 MX400 video, Adaptec 29160 scsi. Boot drive is on the scsi bus. Atapi cdrw drive is Verbatim. It is the only ide component active in the system.

This reminds me of the problems with 4.9 when the adaptec scsi code got broken. The point where this stops though is not clear it has gotten to the scsi part of the code.

I'd give more info but, I don't know how to capture the dmesg info when the kernel hangs.