i386/69945: "Page fault" while shutting down on VIA KT600

Intron intron at intron.ac
Tue Aug 3 04:10:27 PDT 2004

>Number:         69945
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       "Page fault" while shutting down on VIA KT600
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Text on screen(Typed from the piece of paper I wrote on):

fault virtual address    =  0x8
fault code               =  supervisor real, page not present
instruction pointer      =  0x8:0xc0570f4c
stack pointer            =  0x10:0xdad17ca4
frame pointer            =  0x10:0xdad17cc8
code segment             =  base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         =  DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags         =  interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process          =  21(irq 10:vr0 atapci0+)
trap number              =  12
panic: page fault

>How-To-Repeat:
Sometimes while shutting down (to halt or to be power-off),
after many shutting operations, such as "sync..."
The same to rl0(Realtek 8139 chip's network adapter)
>Fix:
     Probably this fault is caused by an incoming network packet
received after those shutting operations.
     Actually network adapter may receive at any time, even later
than those shutting operations. For example, ARP request broadcase,
attacking connection request yielded by computers infected by
worm virus.
     Probably after shutting operations, an incoming packet causes
an interrupt. But concerned module in kernel has had not appropriate
memory space to process this interrupt.