i386/58580: After sysinstall, F2 fails; wrong device specified for /?

Chris Pepper pepper at rockefeller.edu
Sun Oct 26 14:40:19 PST 2003

>Number:         58580
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       After sysinstall, F2 fails; wrong device specified for /?
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD www.reppep.com 4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE #3: Mon Sep 22 19:30:41 EDT 2003 root at www.reppep.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/REPPEP i386

	After sysinstall for 4.9RC1-4.9RC4 (from posted ISOs), with our without installing BootMgr and/or setting the FreeBSD partition as active, F2 should boot FreeBSD but fails. Rather than loading the kernel from /, it immediately reboots.

	FWIW, sysinstall & BootMgr/BootEasy work properly from 4.5-RELEASE through 4.8-RELEASE & 4.8-20030801-snap.

	More history available on freebsd-stable@ under "FreeBSD 4.9 RC1 (i386) now available" & "Re: Final 4.9-RC (i386) available now, please help test.".

>How-To-Repeat:
	Install FreeBSD 4.9RC1-4 on HP Pavilion 7915 with NTFS (XP) on partition 1 & FreeBSD on partition 2.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD guest.reppep.com 4.8-20030701-SNAP FreeBSD 4.8-20030701-SNAP #0: Sun Oct 26 09:07:55 GMT 2003     root at freebsd-stable.sentex.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
$ cat /etc/fstab
# See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic mounts
# of network filesystems before modifying this file.
#
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s1              /c              msdos   ro              0       0
/dev/ad0s2g             /home           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

>Fix:

	Unknown.