i386/59147: USB active extension cable not recognized

David Bremner bremner at unb.ca
Mon Nov 10 11:10:17 PST 2003

>Number:         59147
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       USB active extension cable not recognized
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD fcstest240b.cs.unb.ca 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #1: Mon Nov 10 13:53:20 AST 2003 bremner at fcstest240b.cs.unb.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CONVEX2 i386
	I am running a stock 5.1R GENERIC kernel config, plus ehci
device. It did not work before I added the ehci device either.

	My lexmark optra 323 is not recognized when connected via
	a StarTech USB Active Extension cable (USB FAAEXT15A)
	by 5.1R or 5.1-CURRENT (as above).  The only (I
	think) related kernel messages that I see are from ehci debugging

ehci_pcd: change=0x40
ehci after reset, status=0x00001803
ehci_disown: index=6 lowspeed=0

The printer works when connected directly.

>How-To-Repeat:

Plug in extension cable to CPU with printer attached, or plug in
printer to extension cable.
>Fix:

	 Well, it used to work under 4.9pre. So that is a
	(theoretical) fix. Also, obviously, move the printer closer
	and don't use the extension cable.

	I'm only reporting so the next poor sod does not upgrade to
	current just to see if it works before it occurs to try the
	printer without the extension cable :-)