i386/53620: Kernel panics / reboots during install of 5.1 to 40GB disk on 440BX mobo

Nick Triantos nick at triantos.com
Sun Jun 22 17:00:27 PDT 2003

>Number:         53620
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Kernel panics / reboots during install of 5.1 to 40GB disk on 440BX mobo
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD bsd.triantos.com 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun 5 02:55:42 GMT 2003 root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

	Intel "Seattle" 440BX chipset, Pentium III/450MHz,
	Maxtor 4D040K2 40GB drive

	I suspect that FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE is not able to correctly
	access my LBA-mode 40GB drive, on a fairly old motherboard.
	5.0-RELEASE had no trouble, though.

	Machine was running freebsd 5.0, nearly stock config.
	During my attempt to upgrade to 5.1-RELEASE, I got a kernel
	panic while copying one of the install tarfiles, page not
	present error, and then system rebooted.  I have seen the
	same error several more times when trying to repeat the
	installation.  Fixit mode on both the 5.0 and 5.1 CDs didn't
	seem to give me any way to resolve the problem.

	A fresh install to a new 20GB disk worked ok.

	I then tried mounting the 40GB disk, ran fsck then mount,
	and mount failed saying I needed to run fsck again.
	'mount -f' worked, but when trying to copy files from the
	machine I locked up once, and spuriously rebooted once.

	I then tried to fdisk/disklabel the disk through sysinstall
	(booted from both CD, and from the 5.1 20GB disk), all ways
	fail with a write error (no other details given to me when
	the failure occurs).

	I then tried booting in a more modern PC (NVIDIA nForce
	chipset) from the 5.1 boot CD, and was able to get both fdisk
	and disklabel to work on the disk.  I re-inserted the disk
	into my 440BX system as /dev/ad1, and started a job of copying
	files from the 20GB (/dev/ad0*) to the 40GB disk (/dev/ad1*)
	via tar.  Half-way through this process, the system rebooted,
	no messages I can find in /var/log/messages.

	I have been running freebsd 5.0-RELEASE on this 440BX system
	with a 40GB disk since 5.0 was released, and have never had any
	kind of disk problems.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Unsure, but given that I can continue to see issues here, I
	will volunteer to help however I can in tracking down the
	problem.  I am not terribly freebsd-kernel-saavy, but I am a
	professional device driver software engineer, so I am comfortable
	with walking through code / debuggers as needed.