i386/60603: dd causes error when copying cd from ATA drives

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Sun Dec 28 03:10:23 PST 2003

The following reply was made to PR i386/60603; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde at zeta.org.au>
To: Thomas Moyer <tommoyer at charter.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org, freebsd-i386 at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: i386/60603: dd causes error when copying cd from ATA drives
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:02:46 +1100 (EST)

 On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Thomas Moyer wrote:

 > When running the command dd bs=2048 if=/dev/acd0 of=cd.image the following error occurs
 > acd0:FAILURE - READ_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> sensekey=ILLEGAL REQUEST error=4<ABORTED>
 > dd: /dev/acd0: Input/output error
 > 250167+0 records in
 > 250167+0 records out
 > 512342016 bytes transferred in 841.234361 secs (609036 bytes/sec)
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Using GENERIC dd bs=2048 if=/dev/acd0 of=cd.image

 I believe this is caused by a bad table of contents on the media.  The
 TOC sometimes says that there are more blocks than there actually are,
 and dd handles this perfectly by getting an i/o error attempting to
 read a nonexistent block.

 I see this problem deterministically for cd's written by burncd, perhaps
 because I always create multi-session cd's.  Factory-burned cd's mostly
 don't have it.  burncd seems to do the right things, but somehow the TOC
 always says that the track has more sectors that burncd wrote.  Usually
 only 1 more. but for small writes the minimum track length seems to be
 300.  This is with "acd0: CDRW <RICOH CD-RW MP7320A> at ata1-master UDMA33"
 I tried to use cdrecord on
 "cd0: <RICOH CD-RW MP7320A bp13> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device"
 for comparison, but atapicam doesn't seem to support cdrecord.

 Bruce