gnu/116363: isspace broken for UTF-8 locales

Petr Hroudný petr.hroudny at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 01:42:56 PDT 2007

2007/9/16, Hye-Shik Chang <perky at freebsd.org>:

> If you are saying about Python's str.split(), the problem is due
> to our libc bug (or feature) which is described many times before,
> and Python already includes a workaround for the problem.
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-checkins/2004-August/042343.html

I run into this problem when using mutt, which utilizes isspace to
separate tokens in
e.g. list of recipients. Then I've found the workaround for Python,
saying this problem
should be fixed in FreeBSD6 - but it's still present even in 7-current.
I do believe it would be better to fix isspace() than introduce
workarounds into every application.

Regards, Petr