port editors/nvi-devel (nvi with Unicode support)

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Thu Nov 15 12:58:03 PST 2007

The editors/nvi-devel port currently has no port maintainer.  Sadly,
the port is broken.  The port is nvi-1.81.5 and it's the one with
Unicode (wide-character) support.

I have sent patches to fix the broken port:

I don't really have time to become the port maintainer for nvi.  We
do need someone to maintain it, though.  Any volunteers?  Current
things to do:
	- Further patches to the port to eliminate the remaining
	  compiler warnings.

	- Submission of all these patches back to the developer.

	- While the port IS the latest released nvi (1.81.5), the
	  nvi developer, Sven Verdoolaege, has additional changes
	  in his git system, one of which fixes the I/O problem when
	  using :r or !! on files with wide characters.  We should
	  either ask Sven to release these additional changes (e.g.,
	  as 1.81.6) then update the port to that version, or we
	  should bring the port up to Sven's git code version.

	- We also need to work with Sven to fix the problem of this
	  nvi hanging on non-Unicode sequences.  Instead, it should
	  display unknown sequences using \xAB hex notation.  It
	  should also not hang for files containing a valid Unicode
	  BOM (Byte Order Mark) character!

	- There are also some non-Unicode issues that should be fixed
	  too.  See here:
		http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/unicode.html

	- Once all this is fixed, it'd be great to see this version
	  of nvi replace the one in FreeBSD's base system (currently
	  nvi-1.79).

Anyone have time to work on this?

	-jr