HEADS UP: people running www.freebsd.org mirrors! Switch from cvsup to rsync please.

John Hay jhay at meraka.org.za
Fri Jun 6 20:27:17 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 11:55:09AM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> On Saturday 24 May 2014 16:54:28 Peter Wemm wrote:
> > If you are running a www mirror that is being updated via cvsup, *please
> > stop* and switch to rsync.
> [..]
> > To switch, please use something like this:
> >
> > $ rsync -aHz --delete rsync://bit0.us-west.freebsd.org/FreeBSD-www-data/
> > /home/mirror/www-data/
> >
> > of note, -H for tracking hard links, and --delete to clean up old
> > files.  Don't run rsync as root, etc etc.
> >

> > However I would like to make a plea here. Please take a peek at your
> > server's traffic logs to check that it makes sense to keep the mirror
> > going and that it's not just bots.  I'm aware that people run them for a
> > variety of reasons (anything from language variants to local content to
> > improving latency to participating in the community etc), but please
> > don't feel obligated to keep running one if there is no longer a
> > reason.  A neglected mirror is far worse than no mirror.
> >
> > Even worse, we risk being penalized in search engines for duplicated
> > content because it looks like spam to certain algorithms.
> >
> > If it's time to stop, contact the hostmaster for your zone and have the
> > dns and mirror lists updated. Please don't let them go to dead air.

I'm running the last www server for the za and internat sub domains. But
these days South Africa has pretty good internet connectivity, so I guess
I can stop the web servers. Should I just delete www.za.freebsd.org and
www.internat.freebsd.org from the zone files, or should I point them
somewhere else?

John