SLOW rsync from bit0.us-west

Simon L. B. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 12 15:37:32 UTC 2013

On 12 January 2013 05:21, John Marshall
<john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au> wrote:
> I have been updating the gnats collection on our mirror via rsync since
> the CVSup updates stopped but noticed this morning that the updates
> appeared to be stalled. I killed off jobs that appeared to be stuck
> downloading incremental file list (after about 20 minutes) but then
> thought to run rsync manually with -vvv. What I saw then was short
> bursts of messages like 'recv_file_name(bin/nnnn)' interspersed with
> 15-20 seconds of nothing. tcpdump showed just a handful of packets every
> 15 seconds or so. The update eventually finished after more than 2 hours.

The server which runs bit0.us-west (which is also svn0.us-west), is
totally bogged down.

CPU:  3.1% user,  0.0% nice, 96.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  1.0% idle

As it has just been updated to the latest stable/9 I'm a bit
suspicious of that...

Thanks for letting us know. I will start poking people.

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen