CVSup Mirror Statistics Timestamp Problem

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Thu Aug 30 23:29:42 UTC 2012

In the thread about Subversion mirrors,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, 23:41 +0100, Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:
> If people are wondering why we are working on how to do mirroring
> differently, please see current status:
> http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/ (cvsup is stat seems
> broken, but FTP still shows the general picture).

Simon refers to the very useful mirror monitoring site created and
maintained by edwin at .  I also maintain my own monitor for a much smaller
subset of mirrors in which I have particular interest.

Most of the mirror age information relies on some kind of regularly
updated TIMESTAMP from the master which is replicated to each of the
mirrors.  That's easy with the FTP mirrors because ftp-master provides
/pub/FreeBSD/TIMESTAMP.  The nearest thing we had been able to find for
CVSup mirrors was the timestamp in the $FreeBSD$ tag in
CVSROOT-ports/modules, since a fresh version of that file was being
generated most days.  Since ports has moved to Subversion, the modules
file has not been updated and I haven't been able to find a substitute
"TIMESTAMP" that we can use to check the age of CVSup mirrors.  I note
that this wouldn't be a problem if it were possible to get at CVS
history from a CVSup client.

Any suggestions?

--
John Marshall