BSD mirror statistics and need for torrents

Carsten Otto otto at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jul 18 11:23:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:16:59PM +0200, Maximilian Palm wrote:
> Currently I'm looking for statistics from FreeBSD FTP/HTTP download
> sites and mirrors to see how traffic is distributed among the files. Is
> everybody really only downloading the recent release or is there a
> broader range of things that people download? This data could be
> compared to the FreeBSD tracker statistics.
>
> Does anyone gather such information and would be willing to share it?

I can easily provide information about the traffic caused by FreeBSD,
split into HTTP, RSYNC, FTP. As you can see in the following graphic, we
(ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de) have about no traffic at all to other
users. Therefore, I do not see the need to use BitTorrent (assuming
the current BitTorrent setup does not have way more traffic than
HTTP/FTP).

http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/rrd/freebsd%23month.png

As a comparison, we only see significant BitTorrent traffic for the huge
Linux distributions, especially after some release. Based on our
numbers, I do not think that FreeBSD needs a very sophisticated solution
here.

Bye,
Carsten Otto           otto at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
LuFG Informatik 2      http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/
RWTH Aachen            phone: +49 241 80-21211