FreeBSD 8.1-RC2 Available...

Garrett Wollman wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu
Wed Jul 7 17:48:28 UTC 2010

In article <1278507882.46615.6.camel at bauer.cse.buffalo.edu>, Ken Smith
writes:

>I just finished uploading the DVD images for amd64 and i386 to the
>master FTP site.  It will take a few hours for them to propagate to
>the mirrors.  Checksums are:
>
>MD5 (FreeBSD-8.1-RC2-amd64-dvd1.iso) = 9b8f71cdfc8e9b9f7238a843b85cd24d
>MD5 (FreeBSD-8.1-RC2-i386-dvd1.iso) = 15f60953db9940551504193c4433c43f

I'm not sure how many months it will take for these to show up on ftp5
at the current rate of updates.  Presently it takes about two and a
half weeks just to synchronize all the packages, after which cvsup
hits some sort of timeout and starts all over again.  I'm thinking of
switching to rsync as it's about twice as fast.

(This may be a result of switching to ZFS -- it seems that ZFS is
about one tenth the speed of UFS2 on the same hardware -- but I
haven't had time to investigate any more deeply than that.  Any ZFS
experts out there who could suggest a fruitful line of research?)

-GAWollman