FreeBSD 8.1-RC2 Available...

Ken Smith kensmith at buffalo.edu
Wed Jul 7 17:39:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 13:32 -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> In article <1278507882.46615.6.camel at bauer.cse.buffalo.edu>, Ken Smith
> writes:
>
> >I just finished uploading the DVD images for amd64 and i386 to the
> >master FTP site.  It will take a few hours for them to propagate to
> >the mirrors.  Checksums are:
> >
> >MD5 (FreeBSD-8.1-RC2-amd64-dvd1.iso) = 9b8f71cdfc8e9b9f7238a843b85cd24d
> >MD5 (FreeBSD-8.1-RC2-i386-dvd1.iso) = 15f60953db9940551504193c4433c43f
>
> I'm not sure how many months it will take for these to show up on ftp5
> at the current rate of updates.  Presently it takes about two and a
> half weeks just to synchronize all the packages, after which cvsup
> hits some sort of timeout and starts all over again.  I'm thinking of
> switching to rsync as it's about twice as fast.
>
> (This may be a result of switching to ZFS -- it seems that ZFS is
> about one tenth the speed of UFS2 on the same hardware -- but I
> haven't had time to investigate any more deeply than that.  Any ZFS
> experts out there who could suggest a fruitful line of research?)
>
> -GAWollman

I can't comment on the zfs question but ...

As a heads-up switching over to rsync generally is in the works.
First step is a bit more memory in ftp-master.  We won't adjust
the number of allowed connections via cvsup/rsync until after
the memory gets added so if people start trying to shift to
rsync now it will increase the rejection rate due to max connects
hit.  But again - just as a heads-up this is in the works.  When
ftp-master is ready to handle more rsync connections we will let
you know.

The motivation is being able to have files larger than 2Gb.
Pieces of cvsup keep track of file sizes as a signed integer
so max file size is 2^31...

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at buffalo.edu