Upgrade of ftp-master.eu.FreeBSD.org

Cejka Rudolf cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz
Fri Jul 2 13:53:09 UTC 2010

Hello,
  after many mid-steps and some experiments, I have finished upgrade
of ftp-master.eu.FreeBSD.org for some time now (hopefully :o).

Is there anybody running an official FreeBSD mirror, who would like to
switch from ftp-master.FreeBSD.org, or any other mirror, to
ftp-master.eu.FreeBSD.org? Location of this server is in Brno, Czech
Republic, connected to european academic lines.

IPv6 is especially welcomed and I would be happy to add any new IPv6
addresses even for current ftp-master.eu.FreeBSD.org users.

Hardware is 2 x Xeon Pentium 4, 3.06 GHz, 5 GB RAM, 3.2 TB RAID-5 UFS
(3ware 9550SX-12 RAID controller with 8 disks x 500 GB). ZFS was
unfortunately terribly slow, atleast trying raidtest and sequential
reads and writes. For interest, I extended 2.7 TB RAID-5 using 7 disks
to 3.2 TB RAID-5 using 8 disks almost online, and it seems that it was
successful ;o) If there is anybody else, who would like to grow GPT
partition and/or >2TB UFS, I fixed patches downloaded somewhere from the
net (I'm not their author!) for 8.0-STABLE dated 2010/04/22. Patches
could be downloaded from here:
  ftp://ftp.freebsd.cz/pub/FreeBSD-local/gpt-growfs-8.x/patch-gpart.txt
  ftp://ftp.freebsd.cz/pub/FreeBSD-local/gpt-growfs-8.x/patch-growfs.txt

Regards and happy downloading ;o)

Btw, if there is anybody from ftpadm team, I have sent a request to
ftpadm at FreeBSD.org, if it is possible to get a ssh access for me to
ftp-master.FreeBSD.org, and without response. Would it be possible?

Thank you.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology