IPv6 and cvsup servers

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Mar 30 23:35:03 PDT 2008

Some of my friends have been moving their machines into the world of
IPv6.  It seems that the cvsup program is old enough that it doesn't
know about IPv6 (true?).  So they went to use the csup program in
the base system, and while that seems to understand IPv6 just fine,
they couldn't seem to make a connection to any of the official cvsup
servers that they tried via IPv6.

E.g:  "It looks like cvsup4.freebsd.org is refusing connections
        on ipv6 despite it having an AAAA record."

Is this expected?  Given that the servers are all using the cvsup
program, it wouldn't surprise me if they can't handle connections
from IPv6 hosts.  But if that's the case, then why are there AAAA
records for the cvsup*.freebsd.org hostnames?

(apologies if this was a dumb question, but I haven't done much with
IPv6)

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu