Email harvesting on

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Mar 10 17:53:29 UTC 2008

Mit Rowe wrote:
 > In the online documentation for freebsd, such as on this page:
 >
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html
 >
 > Unmunged email addresses are scattered throughout.

Which is a good thing.

I think it is extremely annoying when you have to copy
an address and "fix" it in order to send a message to
a person.  You should be able to just click on it.
That's the purpose of the web and hyperlinks.

I certainly do not want my address to be "munged" in any
way, because I do want to be easily reachable.  That's
why I have an e-mail address.

Apart from that -- as Rich pointed out -- such "munging"
is rather useless for spam prevention.

 > I have received 200+ spam messages in the past 12 hours alone sent to that
 > address, and that's after some pretty good filters...

You should use better anti-spam software.  I saw almost
zero spam messages in the past 12 hours, despite my
address being listed unmunged on quite a lot of web
sites.  Greylisting, some simple filtering, a bayesian
filter and similar things catches almost all of it.

Best regards
   Oliver