Setting up ftp mirror

Heikki Suonsivu hsu at wlansystems.com
Thu Jan 31 07:54:10 PST 2008

I have been setting up a mirror in Finland, as there currently seems to
be none alive.

The host is running RELENG_7, 1.3T, 1.5G of memory.  CPU is a only
1.5GHz P4 but I would guess it works for smaller country surrounded by
well-mirrored countries.  It has 1G network interface.

I have been trying to pull in FreeBSD from one of the closer mirrors,
but it does not seem to be that simple:

- Some FreeBSD mirrors do not have identical timestamps on files,
causing rsync to recheck all files every time.  This causes extra load,
and apparently resulting very long rsync session seems to break to many
sites.

- Some do not seem to support rsync.

It would seem that it would be better to either get access to master
site or keep just one source for mirroring.  We have enough capacity to
most of Europe, so it does not really matter that much, anything close
to Netnod in Sweden, Linx in UK or AMS-IX in Netherlands would work.

Heikki Suonsivu
bbnetworks.net