package distribution crisis - CDN needed

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Thu Apr 10 20:14:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:15:48AM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Eberhard Moenkeberg pí?e v út 08. 04. 2008 v 01:54 +0200:
> Now this looks so much better and easier than my CDN idea! We could use
> it practically as-is.
>
> We will need to patch pkg_install to use http://redirector.FreeBSD.org/
> instead of ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/

No need to patch - just setup an http server as your source.
Our libfetch is flexible enough to hide the transfer details from any
client.
I use it within ports for source file fetching since a long time.
And it would be possible to setup apache as transparent caching proxy
service.
No need to write new software or use GPL at all.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de