package distribution crisis - CDN needed

Dimitar Vasilev dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 06:12:09 UTC 2008

Pav,
Segmented downloading
also raises the need of packet signatures.
Now if a package is broken on a mirror, user simply selects another one.
I'm aware that for license reasons there is no x.509/opengpg-compatible
solution
that can assure you that you're getting the right package.
Unfortunately I can't help there - got too late into computers to
have time for learning C.
Once upon a time a guy suggested that all FreeBSD mirrors join
http://www.metalinker.org/, but someone from the French mirrors rejected the
idea.
Next thing is that all mirrors have different uplink/downlink speed to
master servers
and response may vary. This may cause a client to select couple of servers
and at the end the master server could be hit badly.
 Also the need of additional hardware that may be purchased
to sustain the model should be considered also.
Best regardz/Nazdar,
Dimitar Vassilev

one of the bg.freebsd.org monkeys